Tommorrow depends on you
The purpose of this site is to inform the public and to encourage participation in the public hearings and decision-making regarding the construction of a nuclear power plant in the town of Belene.
The Belene nuclear power plant (NPP):
- Is to be built in highly earthquake prone zone. Remember Svishtov and Strazhica destroyed. Belene is close!
- Will increase the rate of cancer related illnesses in the region. Authorities claim that the regular operation of a NPP has no impact on human health. Although the National plan “Environment and Health” from 1998 calls for research on the health risk from nuclear power generation, such research has not yet been conducted. BUT they HIDE data about diseases in the region of NPP Kozlodui and the whole of North-western Bulgaria!
- Will pollute soil, underground water and the Danube river!
- Will put an end to fishing. Who will be up for trying radioactive fish?
- Will devastate agriculture and wine-making in the region. Once upon a time the Svishtov wines were among the best ones in London!
- Will not provide employment to the people in the region. Only highly qualified specialists work in NPPs. Neither will local farmers supply the NPP Belene. Take a look at NPP Kozlodui contracts with farmers from other parts of Bulgaria!
- Will destroy the potential for tourism. The nature park will become a wasteland, slowly killed by radioactive pollution.
- Will halt the development of the region. The choice of nuclear power kills the prospect of balanced, diversified and sustainable development. No one invests into a potential bomb. No one invests into a region, where ‘the air’ makes people sick!
- Will increase the cost of living. Kozlodui is the most expensive town in Bulgaria!
- Will increase the cost of electricity in Bulgaria: only its production cost will be around 12-14 stotinki (i.e. 6-7 eurocents) per kilowatt-hour!
- Will turn the region into a dumping ground for nuclear waste!
- Will turn Belene and Svishtov into a target of world terrorism!
The Belene NPP: YES or NO?
Yes! – to inexpensive, energy saving solutions!
Yes! – to the well-being and sustainable development of central northern Bulgaria.
Yes! – to new, non-nuclear solutions for the NPP Belene construction site, e.g. gas thermal power station, cross-border duty free zone, technology park!
Yes! TO YOUR FUTURE AND TO THE FUTURE OF YOUR CHILDREN.
NO! – to the destruction of agriculture and wine-making in the region!
NO! – to the pollution of the Danube river, to the destruction of fishing and tourism!
NO! – to cancer related illnesses, to leukemia, to vestibulary system disorders, to stress and brain hemorrhage!
NO! – to turning the region into a dumping ground for nuclear waste.
NO! - to the 4 billion leva (2 billion euro) debt, which will be repaid by you, your family, your children, the Bulgarian nation!
NO! to a second Chernobyl in your back yard!
NO TO NPP BELENE!
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
The No to Belene NPP campaign is organised by environmental non-governmental organisations and aims to encourage the public participation in the decision-making process around the construction of a new nuclear power station in Bulgaria.
For more information, facts and data in support of the above statements contact the following organisations:
Environmental association "For the Earth" email@example.com, Tel. (02) 8518620
National movement "Ekoglasnost" firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. (02) 9862221
National movement "Ekoglasnost" Montana email@example.com, Tel. (096) 300593
Center for Environmental Education and Information firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. (02) 9892785
InfoECOclub Vratsa email@example.com, Tel. (092) 34946
Center for Environmental Law firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. (02) 9813315
Regional movement "EkoSouthWest" email@example.com, Tel. (073) 81089
Association "Earth Forever" - Svishtov, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. (0631) 22048